Skip to main content

I Ordered a Walker

This is the model.

I really have mixed feelings about this decision. I'm choosing to get the walker due to intense pain that's been worsening for about the last year. The cause turns out to be EDS, or at least that's what the doctors are saying.
EDS is a connective tissue disorder that I don't yet fully understand, but it was explained to my that my connective tissue at my joints is too stretchy, and it's leading to my pain, fatigue, and susceptibility to joint injury.
I was also provisionally diagnosed with POTS, in which blood pools in some areas while I'm seated or laying down, and my heart rate goes up too much trying to get the blood back to my heart and brain when I stand. If this process is inefficient enough, I can faint. Apparently, the doctor didn't do the proper testing for this, so I'm going to take this diagnosis with a grain of salt and just call it unexplained near-fainting episodes for now. Regardless of what causes them, they happen, and I have to live with them for now.
Back to the walker. I really have felt this last year like my mobility was being taken from me. As I should have been recovering from surgery, I was plagued by flares of intense joint pain and fatigue. I'd complained of flares of these symptoms for about 4 years, but they'd gotten even worse during the last year. I also was dealing with dizzy spells and feeling like I would pass out.
I've used a wheelchair a lot of the time, and I've felt like it was a personal failure. It felt like overkill, and I didn't know where my pain was coming from. When I went out on foot, I would often have to sit on the ground in public because of my pain level and not because of being out of shape. However, these issues caused me to become more and more out of shape as exercise and daily activities got harder and harder.
A walker seems like it will provide the right level of support for me. I can use it for support and sit when needed, but it's not the wheelchair, and I'm up on my feet. There's nothing wrong with using a wheelchair when you need one, but I want to preserve as much of my mobility as I can.
However, the walker almost feels like more overkill than the wheelchair, like admitting I need a high level of help and support. I fear that friends and family will think I'm using it just for attention, rather than that I'm in a lot of pain. I'm working through a lot of internalized ableism towards this tool that I think will help me a lot and give me some of my mobility back.

Note: I'm an Amazon associate. I get rewarded if you click on the ad or buy the product advertised, but it's really the model I got.

Comments

  1. It's come to my attention that my doctor did not perform the proper diagnostics to diagnose POTS, so we'll just say "unexplained fainting spells" until I can talk to him and clarify what he said and did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the walker is here, and it helps a ton. My arms aren't used to using the muscles it requires yet, and they hurt, but when I use for support and sit down as needed, my pain level is greatly reduced. I was in extreme pain in my knees and ankles before.
    I've gone out to do things on foot a lot more with it, knowing I won't have to sit down in the middle of the street if I can't go any further. It's particularly hard to use walking my dog, though, and I tend to still do that without it and just sit on the ground around the complex.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Dear Unnamed Friend

Dear unnamed friend, I carefully hoarded enough spoons to do the activity you suggested at the time you suggested. I went to bed super early and planned NOTHING for tomorrow to be able to do it. I just got discharged from psych this week, and the meds still aren’t all the way in my system, so I’m foggy-minded and emotional. I also woke up every 90 minutes last night for 30-45 minutes due to nightmares about the hospital that joined my normal nightmares. I told you I’d let you know around 9am today, when my alarm was set to sound, whether I could come to the 1pm event today, and I texted you that yes, I could come, but I needed to sleep until 10 to regain spoons. You texted me 4-5 times between 9:15 and 10, effectively cancelling any change I had to sleep, since it takes me at least 2 hours to wake all the way up. You tried to change the plans to pick me up around 10:15am, and I understand why. You were already in the area for something and didn’t want to drive all the w

Head Hitting and Self-Injurious Behaviors

I see a lot of articles written by neurotypical people trying to explain head banging and other self-injurious behavior in autistic children, and I want to offer my own perspective as an autistic adult who still engages in these behaviors. There are a number of reasons and circumstances that lead to self-harming behaviors for me, despite my efforts to avoid doing them. Sensory input needs not being fulfilled: Sometimes, self-injurious behaviors feel good. I like the pressure of hitting my head or the tingling sensation of scratching my skin, even though I don't like pain. I seem to process these sensations differently than neurotypical people. I've been able to reduce these behaviors by finding similar sensory inputs: body brushes instead of scratching, weighted blankets and lap pads instead of hitting, deep pressure therapy, etc. Too much being demanded : When a task or person places demands that cause distress that exceeds my normal coping skills, these behaviors result.