Skip to main content

Distress Tolerance Skills Part 1: Crisis Survival Skills

All posts in this series reference working through DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition, and all quotes come from that book unless otherwise specified.

Goals of Distress Tolerance:

Distress tolerance skills are important because distress is always going to be a part of life, and fighting against that fact causes more suffering. Distress is also part of making any change in ourselves, and if we shy away from that pain, we will be unable to progress. The Distress Tolerance Skills section of the book will be divided into two main types of handouts: Crisis Survival and Reality Acceptance. There will also be some material for "When the Crisis is Addiction". This blog will cover crisis survival skills.

The distress tolerance section has 3 main goals:
  • "Survive crisis situations without making them worse
  • Accept reality Replace suffering and being "stuck" with ordinary pain and the possibility of moving forward
  • Become free of having to satisfy the demands of your own desires, urges, and intense emotions"

 Crisis Survival Skills

The first subsection of skills in this section is crisis survival skills. "These are skills for tolerating painful events, urges, and emotions when you cannot make things better right away."
Graphic made by Zeke, all information taken from DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets,

STOP Skill:

The first crisis survival skill is the STOP skill, which is illustrated by the graphic below:
https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/1*HCl246ca1f2AFgzmi_wrtA@2x.jpeg
Graphic found at https://miro.medium.com/max/1400/1*HCl246ca1f2AFgzmi_wrtA@2x.jpeg

Pros and Cons:

The next crisis survival skill is Pros and Cons. This works best for a recurring urge that, if acted upon, would make things worse in the long-term OR a recurring reluctance to do a specific thing that needs to be done to make your life better in the long-term.

For an urge that, if acted upon, would make things worse, before you are in crisis, make a list of pros and cons for acting on your urge AND a list of pros and cons for not acting on your urge. Rehearse this list, and carry it with you. When you are in crisis, reference this list to help you make choices that are beneficial in the long-term.

The same principle applies to something you need to do to make your life better in the long-term but are reluctant to do. Before you are in crisis, make a list of pros and cons for doing it AND a list of pros and cons for not doing it. Reference this list when the crisis hits.

TIP Skills:

TIP Skills are all about changing your body chemistry to calm extreme emotions. They're described in the flyer below:
https://dbtselfhelp.weebly.com/uploads/8/2/0/9/82096548/editor/t_485.jpg?1492524640
Found at https://dbtselfhelp.weebly.com/uploads/8/2/0/9/82096548/editor/t_485.jpg?1492524640

Other Options:

You can also do body sensation meditation or other exercises with your 5 senses for crisis management.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Increasing my Testosterone Dosage

TW: Body changes, sexual changes, suicide mention   I started low-dose testosterone on February 1, 2016 . My step-dad had just taken his own life, and I felt the need to take control of mine. I was on testosterone for a long time before I was sure that I really wanted to be on it- that it was the decision that would reduce dysphoria the most for my nonbinary self. Part of this indecisiveness came from my autism; I've always had trouble making decisions due to being overwhelmed by the options and fearing regret. I talked a lot with my therapist about my uncertainty around testosterone, and the ongoing theme was that I was happy about the current changes; I was just afraid that I would regret future changes. So, I stayed on testosterone, reasoning that I could always go off of it if the changes started causing dysphoria from being too masculine. Since then, I've started trying my hand at online dating. Through answering the many, many questions on the sites, building my profil...

Autism and Teaching English

In many ways, autism makes me a good teacher. I explain things clearly and systematically. I keep detailed notes on each student because I have to do so to remember. I have formulas for everything and provide data-based feedback on student progress after every lesson. It also makes me a good English as a Second Language teacher. I pinpoint specific, recurring issues in students' speaking (accent, pronunciation, and oral fluency) and take a structured approach to addressing these issues. I do the same with academic writing (structure, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, coherence and cohesion). However, it makes me a lousy literature teacher. I'm good at poetry, but stories are not my thing. I take them at face value. It's hard for me to see symbolism behind the words. A story about talking rabbits ( Watership Down ) is, to me, just about the talking rabbits, and I'm totally into the narrative of those rabbits. I also cannot empathize with character emotions unless I...

Ten Hurricaines- A Poem for Spoken Word

TW: Psychiatric Medication I wrote this rough draft of a poem a few years ago for spoken word and never came back to edit it, but I really like it. To me, it represents finding the balance in my psychiatric medication and sort of losing myself by being over-medicated but losing my ability to maintain my relationships with people who matter to me by being under-medicated.     This is the time of day When the oceans roar The messy crash of salty waves is pain But the tearful surge is the herald of my reward   They're coming back My thoughts are riding on the clouds Where I used to live My wonderings crashing in the pattern of my name   Here comes the Storm   Boatless, I'm dead man's floating out to sea Will I go into that hurricane? Will I float until the waves lift me to the clouds, Not into the eye of the storm, but in the swirling winds?   The swirling of that storm is where I once discovered lightn...