Skip to main content

Owner Training- Real Talk

First of all, let me introduce you to Coco. She's my 1-and-a-half-year-old service dog in training, and she's the light of my life

Help Fund Service Dog Training (Zeke Goff)   
Even at her current level of training, she's made a huge difference in my life. It's possible for me to go outside now, or even to run to the nearby store for 1-2 items. I know when my asthma is acting up in time to properly medicate and avoid hospitalizations. She stops me from hurting myself by actively interrupting those behaviors and providing alternative stimulation. She helps with so many little things every day.

Still, she's not fully-trained. Her biggest barriers are jumping on people who enter our home, her prey drive on walks, and chewing. She's also having trouble mastering retrieval. To be fair, the jumping and chewing are completely resolved when she's getting enough exercise, but, running at my maximum possible level doesn't give her what she needs in that department.

Recently, I resolved to become a lot more consistent with Coco's exercise and training, and I've been following through with that for about a month. It's been really rewarding to see her make daily progress, but it's also been discouraging to realize that my disabilities will prevent me from giving her enough exercise no matter how hard I try. Once I get SSI, I'll have to hire a dog walker a few times a week to give some extra help.

After some false starts, Coco and I have fallen into a training routine. In the morning, I let her out, and then we do about 5-10 minutes of training before breakfast. We do 2 walks a day with sporadic recall and basic command training, and we do another 5-10 minute training session sometime during the day. This is our bare minimum.

It doesn't sound like much, but walking and training Coco exacerbates my chronic and mental illnesses. This routine is rewarding for us as a team, but it causes fatigue, severe leg pain, asthma and allergy symptoms, sensory overload, brain fog, and sometimes exacerbates existing psychosis or anxiety. Sometimes, doing this bare minimum routine means I can do almost nothing else and need multiple naps throughout the day. It's still worth it. If I invest in training Coco now, I'll reap the benefits of a fully-trained service dog later.

That being said, I'd like to enlist some professional training help. Professional training is $89/session, and dog walking is $15/half hour. If you're able to help with either of these things, donate here: https://www.youcaring.com/zekegoff-982306

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I Ordered a Walker

lly have mixe    This is the model. I really have mixed feelings about this decision. I'm choosing to get the walker due to intense pain that's been worsening for about the last year. The cause turns out to be EDS , or at least that's what the doctors are saying. EDS is a connective tissue disorder that I don't yet fully understand, but it was explained to my that my connective tissue at my joints is too stretchy, and it's leading to my pain, fatigue, and susceptibility to joint injury. I was also provisionally diagnosed with POTS , in which blood pools in some areas while I'm seated or laying down, and my heart rate goes up too much trying to get the blood back to my heart and brain when I stand. If this process is inefficient enough, I can faint. Apparently, the doctor didn't do the proper testing for this, so I'm going to take this diagnosis with a grain of salt and just call it unexplained near-fainting episodes for now. Regardless of what causes

Coping with Paranoid Thoughts, Delusions, and Hallucinations

"Delusions  are strong beliefs that are not consistent with the person’s culture, are unlikely to be true and may seem irrational to others" ( NAMI ). I struggle with delusions consistently and have for years. In my pre-teen and teenage years, I sat in bed bartering with a complex society of monsters each night to let me live through the night, and I covered my neck so that one monster in particular could not turn me into one of his minions. Today, I struggle with thinking that people I see are vampires, werewolves, or goblins using illusion magic to pass as human. I also struggle with thinking I'm being watched and followed or recorded. Other common delusions include believing that outside forces are controlling your thoughts or actions, believing little remarks or objects have special significance, and believing that you have special powers ( NAMI ). " Hallucinations  are seeing, hearing or feeling things that aren’t there"  ( NAMI ). I didn't start deali

Head Hitting and Self-Injurious Behaviors

I see a lot of articles written by neurotypical people trying to explain head banging and other self-injurious behavior in autistic children, and I want to offer my own perspective as an autistic adult who still engages in these behaviors. There are a number of reasons and circumstances that lead to self-harming behaviors for me, despite my efforts to avoid doing them. Sensory input needs not being fulfilled: Sometimes, self-injurious behaviors feel good. I like the pressure of hitting my head or the tingling sensation of scratching my skin, even though I don't like pain. I seem to process these sensations differently than neurotypical people. I've been able to reduce these behaviors by finding similar sensory inputs: body brushes instead of scratching, weighted blankets and lap pads instead of hitting, deep pressure therapy, etc. Too much being demanded : When a task or person places demands that cause distress that exceeds my normal coping skills, these behaviors result.