Skip to main content

30 Things That Make Me Smile

I'm doing this prompt today:

Make a list of 30 things that make you smile.

  1. My service dog 🐕. She makes me pull my hair out sometimes, too, but she's my Best💕.
  2. The forest🌳, especially when you can't hear traffic. I love the smell, the feel of the proximity of nature when my eyes are closed, the firmness of rocks and trees, the distant sound of rushing or trickling water.
  3. York peppermint patties. Enough said.
  4. Playing the flute ᭦♭ . It's really cathartic, too.
  5. Completing a drawing I like.
  6. Completing (writing) a poem I like.
  7. Shopping online
  8. Sewing relaxes me most of the time, but sometimes it stresses me out.
  9. Seeing certain family members, the ones I visit, is nice but draining, too
  10. Seeing a bird outside.
  11. Seeing a cat.
  12. Petting a cat.
  13. Holding a cat.
  14. Hearing a cat purr.
  15. Feeding a cat.
  16. Taking care of a toddler.
  17. Volunteering in a special ed classroom (kids), but my mental health makes this hard to manage, anymore.
  18. Gardening (small garden)
  19. Solving a logic puzzle
  20. Getting published
  21. Being validated
  22. Hearing from my mom
  23. Feeling like people know I love them even when I can't call as much as I think they want me to
  24. Seeing certain friends
  25. Playing Dungeons and Dragons Online is sometimes smile-inducing and sometimes stressful
  26. Writing a blog same as above
  27. Very young kitties
  28. Very young puppies
  29. Real Simple magazine
  30. New stim toys 
A few of these things actually make me smile, and others are just things I like. I don't make facial expressions in response to the same feelings that a lot of people do. I make them in response to extreme emotions or when I feel they're socially required, but I can be quite happy and have a flat affect. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Increasing my Testosterone Dosage

TW: Body changes, sexual changes, suicide mention   I started low-dose testosterone on February 1, 2016 . My step-dad had just taken his own life, and I felt the need to take control of mine. I was on testosterone for a long time before I was sure that I really wanted to be on it- that it was the decision that would reduce dysphoria the most for my nonbinary self. Part of this indecisiveness came from my autism; I've always had trouble making decisions due to being overwhelmed by the options and fearing regret. I talked a lot with my therapist about my uncertainty around testosterone, and the ongoing theme was that I was happy about the current changes; I was just afraid that I would regret future changes. So, I stayed on testosterone, reasoning that I could always go off of it if the changes started causing dysphoria from being too masculine. Since then, I've started trying my hand at online dating. Through answering the many, many questions on the sites, building my profil...

Autism and Teaching English

In many ways, autism makes me a good teacher. I explain things clearly and systematically. I keep detailed notes on each student because I have to do so to remember. I have formulas for everything and provide data-based feedback on student progress after every lesson. It also makes me a good English as a Second Language teacher. I pinpoint specific, recurring issues in students' speaking (accent, pronunciation, and oral fluency) and take a structured approach to addressing these issues. I do the same with academic writing (structure, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, coherence and cohesion). However, it makes me a lousy literature teacher. I'm good at poetry, but stories are not my thing. I take them at face value. It's hard for me to see symbolism behind the words. A story about talking rabbits ( Watership Down ) is, to me, just about the talking rabbits, and I'm totally into the narrative of those rabbits. I also cannot empathize with character emotions unless I...

Ten Hurricaines- A Poem for Spoken Word

TW: Psychiatric Medication I wrote this rough draft of a poem a few years ago for spoken word and never came back to edit it, but I really like it. To me, it represents finding the balance in my psychiatric medication and sort of losing myself by being over-medicated but losing my ability to maintain my relationships with people who matter to me by being under-medicated.     This is the time of day When the oceans roar The messy crash of salty waves is pain But the tearful surge is the herald of my reward   They're coming back My thoughts are riding on the clouds Where I used to live My wonderings crashing in the pattern of my name   Here comes the Storm   Boatless, I'm dead man's floating out to sea Will I go into that hurricane? Will I float until the waves lift me to the clouds, Not into the eye of the storm, but in the swirling winds?   The swirling of that storm is where I once discovered lightn...