Skip to main content

Service Dog Medication Retrieval

I've been trying to train retrieval with my service dog in training since I got her, but she's seemed to have a block about retrieval  commands specifically. She learned around 2 dozen other things during the months she was stuck on retrieval. Last night, though, we had our first really successful training session with it. I think part of the success came from us being more bonded than when we first started training, but I thought I'd share the steps that worked in training, too, in case they help anyone else:

 
Step 1: Put dog food/treats in a breathable cloth bag. Have Coco go get it only on command. I used “get it” at first, which she knew from playing, and then I transitioned to “get bag”. At this stage, she was chewing on the bag, trying to get the treats out, but I would still praise her for getting it when I asked.

Step 2: Repeat step 1 but ask her to “bring it” once she has it. Gently pull her and the bag towards me and reward/praise when she arrives. Take bag and give treat.

Step 3: Once she’s bringing it on command, repeat steps 1 and 2 but add the “give” command once she gets to me with the bag, which I have been placing further and further each time. Trade bag for treat.

Step 4: Repeat steps 1 through 3 with actual medication bag (no medication in it) once this skill is strong. Put treats in the bag at first but don’t let her chew the bag at all.
 
Step 5: Repeat step 4 with no treats in the medication bag.

Step 6: Repeat step 5 with the medication bag where it will be for the actual task.

Eventually, I will start asking her to “get bag” from different parts of the house, and I’ll reinforce this task a lot, but I think we’re finally on the right track.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Increasing my Testosterone Dosage

TW: Body changes, sexual changes, suicide mention   I started low-dose testosterone on February 1, 2016 . My step-dad had just taken his own life, and I felt the need to take control of mine. I was on testosterone for a long time before I was sure that I really wanted to be on it- that it was the decision that would reduce dysphoria the most for my nonbinary self. Part of this indecisiveness came from my autism; I've always had trouble making decisions due to being overwhelmed by the options and fearing regret. I talked a lot with my therapist about my uncertainty around testosterone, and the ongoing theme was that I was happy about the current changes; I was just afraid that I would regret future changes. So, I stayed on testosterone, reasoning that I could always go off of it if the changes started causing dysphoria from being too masculine. Since then, I've started trying my hand at online dating. Through answering the many, many questions on the sites, building my profil...

Distress Tolerance Skills Part 2: Reality Acceptance Skills

All posts in this series reference working through DBT® Skills Training Handouts and Worksheets, Second Edition , and all quotes come from that book unless otherwise specified. To learn more about distress tolerance skills as a whole, why they are important, and the goals the book sets forth for studying them, click here . The Distress Tolerance Skills section of the book is divided into two main types of handouts: Crisis Survival and Reality Acceptance. There will also be some material for "When the Crisis is Addiction". This blog will cover reality acceptance skills.  Reality Acceptance Skills: Radical Acceptance:  The first reality acceptance skill is radical acceptance. Radical acceptance means completely accepting and ceasing to fight: the facts about the past and the present realistic limitations on the future that even painful events have causes that life can "be worth living even with painful events in it"  Some phrases for practicing radical...

Autism and Teaching English

In many ways, autism makes me a good teacher. I explain things clearly and systematically. I keep detailed notes on each student because I have to do so to remember. I have formulas for everything and provide data-based feedback on student progress after every lesson. It also makes me a good English as a Second Language teacher. I pinpoint specific, recurring issues in students' speaking (accent, pronunciation, and oral fluency) and take a structured approach to addressing these issues. I do the same with academic writing (structure, grammar, vocabulary, spelling, coherence and cohesion). However, it makes me a lousy literature teacher. I'm good at poetry, but stories are not my thing. I take them at face value. It's hard for me to see symbolism behind the words. A story about talking rabbits ( Watership Down ) is, to me, just about the talking rabbits, and I'm totally into the narrative of those rabbits. I also cannot empathize with character emotions unless I...